or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

How can you assess what the original thought and intention is? How do you know anyone on the team at Good&Co thought anything more of calling a quiz a "spirit animal" quiz than offering something fun and light to assess general personality traits? By your definition, no one who is outside of the Hindi religions can discuss karma or yoga if someone with a Hindu uncle is offended and voices his opinions. By what realistic means is the world expected to bend over backwards every time a person or group finds undue offense? Besides the fact that the "spirit animal" quiz has become ubiquitous on the internet, and the context here has neither direct nor indirect implications of any cultural tie-in beyond word choice.

And why end with name calling?

• Anonymous commented  · 

It is cultural appropriation because the original thought and intention is culture specific. So when a thing is utilized by individuals who have neither the cultural affiliation, nor the experience of understanding the original intent of that thing (in a time when there are individuals alive who do)...then you have Cultural Appropriation. And if a particular group of people express offense at the mindless, public consumption of that thing...then their voice should be respected.
        Now...if the information that is being procured is essential....then simply changing the name of this quiz seems like the most efficient way to gather data and at the same time, avoid being the accidental/unintentional, cultural-appropriating d-bag.

• Dusty GaikowskiDusty Gaikowski commented  · 

hell yeah ! I like this . I grew up out in the windriver Indian rez. in the day and age we all live in , if you get "offended" by words or others opinions" please don't reproduce . let's let these weak bloodlines die.

Feedback and Knowledge Base